Monday, October 25, 2010

Nigeria @ 50 - Day 25 "HANG"

Nigeria @ 50, Day 24 - Freaksho
http://redoje.blogspot.com/


May 11, 2003, my dad and I were busy in the kitchen, mixing, cutting, dicing and getting ready for my guests. It was my birthday. Mum had passed 7months earlier and would have been here doing the cooking had the doctors detected the hole in her heart and not assumed it was common bronchitis.
So in the bid to silence the painful emotions that thoughts of my last birthday with mum brought, I baked pans after pans of cake until dad made me stop. My sister who was supposed to help out had gone to Port Harcourt to write TOEFL and was to return that morning, but it was noon and no sign of her.  
Back in PH, she was set to leave and my Aunty Imelda was giving her a message for my dad when someone knocked on the door, it was my aunt’s neighbour and she wanted to borrow her pressing iron. My aunt gave her the iron and started to narrate how the NEPA wire had cut and fallen on her flowers and no official had come to check it out; they continued the conversation and stepped outside to have a look.  Just as my aunt pointed towards the flowers, her hands touched the wire and the current took hold of her.  My sister and cousins managed to separate her from the wire which she had unconsciously held to her chest and rushed her to the hospital; the first hospital wouldn’t touch her without a police report and the second one didn’t have any medical expert present.  In their desperation, they took her to a church where prayer warriors alike prayed all they could.......after about an hour my sweet and ever cheerful Aunty Imelda gave up. Since then, May 11 has ceased to be just a birthday to me.
Like I always say, the saddest thing about the change we cry out for in Nigeria is that many of us don’t believe it will come. But for me, regardless of the many precious things the negligence of our system has cost me, I will hang on to this almost shredded rope of hope that someday people will not die needless deaths and our country will be a safer place.
God Bless Nigeria!
N/B: my birthday rice turned out salty....and pls my daddy can cook o!



Nigeria @ 50,  Day 26 - Tobenna

16 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never had the story of the failure of our system being told from such a personal perspective. I am indeed short of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! this is very touching! am so teary eyed...Nonye I dont knw what to say but like u I choose to believe that one day Nigeria will be a safer place to live

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...almost shredded rope of hope that someday....our country will be a safer place."

    the 'almost shredded rope' let's us to appreciate that though tis shredded, tis not broken. If tis not broken, then, tis absolutely correct to keep HOPE alive that it can be made whole again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This babe u're such a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you still have hope, then we have no other choice than to hang on to that hope and repair the rope.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very touching...indeed,the shredded rope is all we have. if and when,we work on it,we will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad and touching! the many personal tragedies will not be in vain! Our hopes will not be dashed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. couldnt help the tears, this is touching and sad. I have almost lost hope in the Nigeria but i'll HANG on. Ezinne

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm. Nigeria and what it has done to so many people. I'm so sorry dear...Your tears will not be in vain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This so sad and touching like you wrote we all hang on to this almost shredded rope of hope that someday people will not die needless deaths and our country will be a safer place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Believing in the change is very important and you are right

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dunno how y'all do it, but I think I've given up on 9ja. I'm still here, but I don't really think I am still here.

    ReplyDelete