Wednesday, February 1, 2012

GboGbo Big Weddings!!!


I have learnt in life that somethings come first, somethings are important but other things are even more important.

I see a lot of young people getting married these days and I'm quick to advise " plan within your means o, you would never have the best or worst wedding"...some listen, others dont. Priorities are soooo misplaced especially in this our Eko Lasgidi! You see couples buying rings of 250 - 300k before wedding and yet they have no accommodation!Cake stand will reach heaven as if cake dey finish for the world the next day, food sef go brekete so tey guests are asked to go home and bring food warmers and plastic bowls! weddings are now fanfares and carnivals...Months after, couple still dey try recover from debt! and all the people wey chop belleful, clean mouth have moved on with their lives and are getting set for the next big wedding. Your own is no longer news!
Personally, I had a very small and unique wedding for two reasons:
1. I wanted a kind of reception where I could mingle with every single one of my guests

2. I DID NOT WANT TO BORROW SHIISHII FROM ANYBODY to do wedding!
So my hubby and I looked at our finances and brought out the amount we could spare and every single thing we did was within that budget and we had change to survive afterwards. Interestingly, a week before my traditional wedding, my dad visited and asked to know where my hubby lived. I told him he shared a place with his friend who had just gotten married and was going to leave the apartment for us, but on another thought we decided to move too and were still in the process of getting a place. I asked my dad why he wanted to know and he said something very interesting " Baby look, I dont care if this young man weds you with a wooden or knitted ring, I dont care what kind of suit he wears on your wedding day but I do care that you both have where to lay your heads after the wedding. Food and shelter are very basic and I need to know that you have those in place before I leave".  When he was done speaking, I remembered my mum, cos she would have said exactly the same thing. Today, I'm the kind of woman who would rather wear a 2,500 top and 5k shoes and have 500k in my account for the rainy day than wear 30k shoes and have 100k in my account. Let me carry aba made bag but pls give me the best healthcare and I'll pay for it!... Go on and yab me, its allowed!!!

I'm NOT at all against big weddings if you can afford it, but why go out of your way to do something that will have an adverse effect on you just to please some non relevant person??
My question to the gbo gbo big 'wedders' is : "Who exactly are you trying to impress? how do they contribute to your well-being? are you even sure they notice the money and efforts you put in trying to impress them?"

Indeed wisdom is profitable to direct!

14 comments:

  1. Quite an interesting read. Let me go and write my own. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, people will read this and still spend the whole world on their marriage. It is just the nature of the life we live in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mybestie has arrived!!!!!!!
    Let me come back!


    HoneyDame
    honeydame1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda always knew that Nonye wu nwa evula ako! Well said and written. The point exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those that will hear will, but some of our girls want their fantasy wedding. Me I no hold any body o...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good points made... It should be more about the joy of the union than who you impress. Also, if you are smart and plan early, you could end up spending less on a wedding that looks like you spent millions...No one will ever know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! what a relief!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your spirit, life na gege, simplicity is d real sophisticated.......one need to manage waste wit wisdom................love ur write up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well written and good advice your father gave. I think people do the big wedding thing not only to impress others but to impress themselves too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nonye tell them o! abeg tell them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Weddings are now fanfares and carnivals". You are so true. i don't get why couple need such a large crowd as just like you i want to get in touch with every single guest of my wedding which i did when i got married.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think i once wrote a post like this on my other blog. i don't bliv in big weddings sef not to talk of over spending. wasaapp hun. missd reading ur posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting write up

    ReplyDelete